1 Peter 3:7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.
Attended a marriage conference this weekend with Dr. Nasir Saddikki, of wisdom ministries. While I was sitting there, as he taught on the Word wrt marriage. God showed me 7 things for husbands out of this verse. Never heard them taught like this before, so I hope they bless you:
1. Dwell = Live with your wife (With no physical abuse, no separation, no witholding sex, no stonewalling)
2. According to knowledge = Learn about YOUR wife. Israeli soldiers are not allowed to go into battle or business for one full year after marriage, but must stay home and learn about her. De 24:5 When a man hath taken a new wife, he shall not go out to war, neither shall he be charged with any business: but he shall be free at home one year, and shall cheer up his wife which he hath taken.
3. Give honour to her = Value = Do not become complacent, nor take her for granted. Value her, above the children, business, ministry, or money.
4. As unto the weaker vessel = Remember men we formed out of dirt, women were hand crafted, and built by God. Weaker her means more refined, like fine crystal. Both clay pots and delicate crystal goblets are vessals, the crystal is far more valuable. Treat her with delicacy. Gen 2:7,22
5. Heirs together – The two of us have become one flesh. I cannot prosper God’s way, without her, for He pours out upon us grace, together.
6. That your prayers be unhindered – The big checklist in God. How is your business or ministry doing? Finances? If we are not treating our wives correctly, God will not answer our prayers, and our finances will dry up. Our marriage is higher priority to God, than our children, our money, our business, or our ministry.
Mal 2:13 And this have ye done again, covering the altar of the LORD with tears, with weeping, and with crying out, insomuch that he regardeth not the offering any more, or receiveth it with good will at your hand.
14 Yet ye say, Wherefore? Because the LORD hath been witness between thee and the wife of thy youth, against whom thou hast dealt treacherously: yet is she thy companion, and the wife of thy covenant.
15 And did not he make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.
16 For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.
Not loving our wives, with a pure heart causes God to refuse our offerings, and to stand as witness between us and our wives. He will uphold our marriage covenant, with His power. We must be faithful to our wives, no matter how frustrated we may feel, no matter how weary in well doing.
Make a list men, of 10 things you love about your wife, and tell her. Tell God. Amplify these things in prayer, and in your home. Then be brutally honest with God about her shortcomings. Do not tell her, only HE can change her. He will make a way, where there seems to be no way
‘Father, make me the man of God You need me to be. Give me grace to love my wife, my children, protecting and providing for them well, in Your name I pray Lord Jesus.’Amen